first time deb user: how to tweak xserver fonts?

I have just installed 2.2r3-- my first deb install. The only thing I can't
seem to figure out is why fonts look so horrible in X. I have done all the
config stuff I am accustomed to doing with other distros: dpi, bpp, monitor
setup, etc.

The problem seems to be just the size of the fonts. It seems that X is using
a really big, unscaled bitmap. I've tried changing around the font paths in
XF86Config... no help. I tried setting up xfs, but X doesn't want to use it
(tells me it can't find a transport). I've tried specifying a good font using
the -fn switch pased to the server, but the server hangs.

This is an out-of-the-box install, so the answer must be a very simple one,
like setting a resource or something. But since I don't know how to find the
problem, I can't find the solution.

Sorry for the lack of information here, but again: I don't know what
questions to ask to get started.