Matrox G450 and X

Hi,
I tried to install Debian on my P3 box. Everything went well, anXious detected the video card, but when I started X it was in 16 colors. I used xf86config to change the default server to the SVGA rather than the VGA16, and now the screen gets all screwed up and then it freezes and I cannot do anything except reboot.

Is there any way I can config so that X will work with my video card? Or do I need to go pull my Mach64 out of my other box?

Thanks