Re: Perl upgrade

In general, installing binary packages from different distributions is
a Bad Idea, as it seems you learned through your sendmail experience.
One method of getting woody versions of packages on your potato system
is to include relevant deb-src lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list and
download woody source packages. Then you can try to build the package
with dpkg-buildpackage. It has worked for me in the past with minor
things; but I've never tried with a behemoth like sendmail. My guess
is that you should probably be okay with this method for perl, but I
haven't tried it, so proceed at your own risk. I hope you have a good
reason to be doing it; by tweaking it you risk turning your "stable"
distribution into "not-so-stable."

Good luck.

Vineet

* Jay Latham (deltamud@telocity.com) [010629 12:25]: