Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <[🔎] 20010629124752.D19993@harmony.cs.rit.edu>, D-Man wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 12:00:16PM +0100, Nikki Locke wrote:
> | If I don't set any "special features", I am assuming (from the
drop-down
> | lists supplied) that the driver will probe the card. I suspect it
is the
> | pobing that is causing the problem.
>
> I don't think so.  That is, if you use 'vim' and don't specify
> anything like clock chip, RAMDAC, acceleration, etc, you X should
just
> attempt to use the most basic communication and hope it works (after
> all, you said it would ;-)).  If you use XF86Setup or something, then
> it probably will probe.  Ditch XF86Setup already -- you have a
> XF86Config file already so just start hacking it.  I found that there
> is usually a lot of explanatory comments in the file (actually, I
> think I used xf86config instead).

Well, I think I am finally getting somewhere using xf86config. I am now
using the S3 drivers. If I don't tell X what the RamDac is, I get the
hang. I tried telling it the RamDac was a bt485 (which is what Windows
thinks it is), and it didn't start X because it said the RamDac wasn't
a bt485. I wonder how I'm going to guess what RamDac I've got?

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com              http://www.trumphurst.com/