nullmailer on Potato

Does anyone use mutt and nullmailer on a Potato installation?

After receiving advice from this list, I created a .deb for
nullmailer and installed it. I think I've got most of the permissions
correct, for, after composing a message in mutt, I'm able to put
it into the queue. However, I can't get the message sent.

If I try to run /usr/sbin/nullmailer-send:-

As user, I get an error message - "could not open trigger file"

As root, the following output:-
------
Rescanning queue.
Starting delivery, 1 message(s) in queue.
Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: relay.clara.net file: 993544759.282
Sending failed: Permanent error in sending the message
Delivery complete, 1 message(s) remain.
------

If anyone is using this program, I would appreciate some advice.
(Frankly, I'm not sure I understand how the progam should run).
I've posted to nullmailer's list, but had no reply.

Thanks,             John.