Re: security

If you are interested in this sort of thing Hacking Exposed SEcond Edition
is an EXCELLENT read.  I am not a windows guy and I don't know much about
windows security except what I have read in that book.  As far as general
purpose stuff check out nmap.  www.insecure.org.  It is *the* portscanning
utility.  I am not going to bother listing what it can do since there
isn't anything related to portscanning that I can think of that it *can't*
do.

Another great way to try and break in to an NT box would be to check out
known vulnerabilities on securityfocus.com.  They have some mailing lists
that might be helpful as well.

What I would do is to use nmap to identify the NT boxes (or novell if
that's what you are targetting).  Then I would figure out what services
are running.  After that I would search for vulnerabilities.  If your
school is lax about security you should be able to find *plenty* of ways
into the box via IIS.

Good luck and have fun...You are lucky you get to do this, it would be
illegal for others to try!

Greg

--
Greg Rowe