Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

%% Nikki Locke <nikki@trumphurst.com> writes:

  >> Are you _sure_ your machine was hung?  That rarely happens.

  nl> Pretty sure. Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work. Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't work. A
  nl> telnet session into the machine from elsewhere on the network
  nl> stopped responding.

  nl> It may be rare, but it happened to me. Twice :-(

Sounds like you have one of those old pieces of hardware that are
problematic.  I've screwed around with X a good bit in the 8 years I've
been using Linux, but it's never locked up my entire system.  I even
installed it on a laptop--_that_ was an adventure :)

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you might try asking a wider
audience, such as the comp.windows.x.i386unix or comp.os.linux.x
newsgroups, to see if anyone else with this same card and/or monitor
will send you an XFree86 3 config file for it.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools