Re: Sound using ADI 1885 built-in sound?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 04:13:46PM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> My new machine (an IBM Netvista) has an ADI 1885 sound system built
> in. Any ideas how to make it fly? Thanks.

Try google.  Generally, it's a much better search engine than debian-user.

For example, when I searched for "adi 1885 linux sound driver", it came
up with many hits, including a pdf from a dell site.  Now the google folks
had a lot of clue when they added the ability to view the text version.

Here's a cut-'n-paste for you from it:

 Enabling MMAP Audio
  MMAP audio is not supported by the i810 audio driver used with the ADI 1881 and
  ADI 1885 AC97 Codec audio chip sets in Dell OptiPlex GX110 systems and in
  Dell Precision WorkStation 220 systems. To run software or games that use MMAP
  audio on these systems, you must disable the integrated sound card and install a
  Linux-compatible accessory sound card that supports MMAP audio.

In other words, the sound chip was put in for the ad.  Even dell admits
that you really don't want to use it.

Here's a dime kid, get yourself a real soundcard.  :-)

Cheers,

Joost