Re: [OT] scsi tape problems

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:08:02 +0200, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Martin_W=FCrtele?= writes:
>On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 07:55:14PM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:
>> afbackup doesn=B4t only have troubles with dds3 drives, I never coould
>>  get it to cooperate with my HP C15533A DDS2 drive, also. IIRC the
>>  error was quite the same (can´t be sure, though, that´s almost 2
>>  years ago).
>
>okay, so any suggestions for another backup software? taper from potato only
>supports tapes up to 4 gb :-(

well, as I have only a DDS2-drive that´s not a problem for me ;-)

but tar should be able to cope with larger tapes, although you may want
 to keep every volume just below 2 GB, so you can safely copy it to disk
 should the need arise (and it will, trust me).

karsten m. self has a backup-script here:
 http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html
 and I did some tweaking, the result of which can be found at:
 http://gfrastsackl.org/scripts/ , to have it fit my needs.

tar has some media-spanning - option, which you could use to keep the
 backup-files below 2 GB.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking bus with hundreds
-- of ebola victims on board throwing dead wombats and