Re: OT vim/uptime

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:26:43PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> >Looking to ENCODE OR DECODE SOME ROT-13 TEXT? No problem.
> >"Vg'f rnfl jvgu Ivz." It's a simple alphabet substitution where
> >each letter changes to its counterpart 13 places away in the
> >alphabet (a<->n, g<->t, etc) . Open the text in Vim, then
> >select it (type "v" at one end of the text to encode/decode,
> >then move to the other end) and then type "g?".
> >  Or, to rot-13 a whole line, just "g??".  That's all!
> >(Try ":help g?" for more info.)
>
> Cool, I learn something new about vim every day ...
>
> Drifting rapidly sideways onto the topic of things learnt today, one of
> my workmates pointed out readline's (and hence bash's) Ctrl-O keystroke,
> the default binding for operate-and-get-next. Try typing a sequence of
> commands, going back in your history to the start of the sequence, and
> then hitting Ctrl-O several times.

okay, that's interesting -- now lemme see if i can figure how
that'd be useful as well:

if you want to execute commands a, b, c, d and e that you've
already entered into the history list, it'll save you having to
uparrow-uparrow-uparrow-uparrow-uparrow-... to retrieve the next
command in sequence.

talk about lazy! (but ain't it wonderful?)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #5 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: