Re: Careers in Linux

>> :    Iam finding it very hard to even get looked at by
>> :    empolyeers.Basically i have made a career change 1 1/2 years ago
>> :    from being a factory worker to supporting pc's (sadly win9x/win2k
>> :    for a uk comapany,name withheld to protect my job :-), at least it
>> :    got my foot in the door).

Hmm, my experience (ok, not just mine, that goes for at least ~ 40
 people I know personally, in a small country like .at) your best bet
 would be looking for a job at an ISP. Preferably somewhat less
 $VBC-like than AOL or T-online. If you don´t mind doing
 1st-level-helpdesk for a year or two, this gets not only your foot in
 the door, but puts you also in very close proximity to the local gurus.

And believe me, nothing´s more valuable than being on good terms (and
 preferably only one cubicle away from) the local gurus. Cluons (see
 jargon) tend to emanate from them in high concentrations ;-)

>> Try to leverage that foot in the door, can you work in a cheap linux
>> box to do firewalling, mail, fileserving, intranet webserver, VPN ?
>>
>> Be creative and see if there's anything you can do with old machines
>> going out of service or a really low end PC, so it won't cost your
>> employer much if anything, and then you'll have "official" linux admin
>> on your CV

If you already know enough for a basic file-/print-/web - server and
 masquerading box, I think it would be more profitable (and not only to
 your knowledge level) to aim for very small businesses and admin their
 firewall-boxes in your spare time. I did (and even do) that for some
 years now, and it doesn´t exactly look bad on your CV:
"adminning $NUM servers for $NUM customers in spare time"

>Also try to learn at home as much as possible. Networking, mailing,
>firewalling, etc. I would especially take care of things like volume
>management, high availability, shared filesystems (Coda, GFS) and
>other enterprise features. If you have knowledge in this fields, no
>matter on which flavor of unix, you can pick out your
>employer. Scripting is a must, I would recommend python. Try to
>automate with failure checking and everything needed in a production
>environment.

That´s self-explanatory, AOL.

>> :    Also I would be inclined as Iam to start playing with something like
>> :    Solaris as its more Unix based than say debian/rh/mandrake (if you
>> :    know what I mean)

Doesn´t really matter, if you know your way ´round Debian and some of
 the more horrible (hey, all software sucks) distributions (did anyone
 say SuSe!?) you´ll catch up with the admin-side of Slowlaris over a
 single weekend. Been there, done that.

>> All my "important" servers are Sun machines running Solaris, so yes
>> it's important to know.
<...>
I'd go so far as to say the
>> difference between RH and Debian is greater than the difference
>> between Debian and Solaris.

<sigh> I second that. Except for AIX[0].

>> That said, they're running Solaris because of the Sun hardware, and
>> Sparc Linux isn't quite where we'd need it to be.
>
>Here the same. No one decides to use solaris, but to use SUN hardware.

obSunHardware: just got a shiny (well, dusty, actually) SS1 for playing
 ´round (I adminned a Debian/Sparc-box a while ago, but need to get some
 more recent hands-on-experience), fscking micropolis-harddrive, in the
 docu there are jumpers for SCSI-terminations, but all hardware sucks,
 too, so they aren´t present physically. Anyone in .at-land who could
 provide me with a external SCSI- (8bit, single-ended) terminator?

0: to quote a fellow cow-orker:
   AIX: Space animals ate my UNIX compatibility!

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "It's 106 light-years to Chicago, we've got a full chamber of anti-
-- matter, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing