Broken SID. Cannot login from console

I updated my apt sources today 26 June and then allowed deselect
to upgrade packages that needed upgrading. ~=130MB.
I rebooted and now I cannot login. The window manager loads
but does not show the use accounts (served via yp).

Ok. So maybe yp is broken. But this should be no big deal
because I have a good /etc/password file containing
important accounts. The real problem is, if I go to console 1 and
try to login
as root, I cannot.

I type "root" and hit enter. Then I *never* see the
"password:" prompt. The system simply pauses for a second
after I hit enter, and then says that I don't have permission to login.

I also cannot login via ssh remotely.
Any ideas? Hints?

Regards,
Doug Eck
--
Dr. Douglas Eck, http://www.idsia.ch/~doug
Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA)