Re: [users] Re: Using different DNS per ISP

also sprach Greg Rowe (on Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:52:06AM -0400):
> Would installing bind on your system work for you?  You could add all of
> your ISPs DNS servers as forwarders in named.conf and then simply point
> resolve.conf to 127.0.0.1.

0.0.0.0

it's just a little undocumented trick to make local DNS requests not
go via the expensive route of the IP stack, but rather through a local
socket.

pppconfig should really be able to do DNS stuff itself, or you should
write something for /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d. A BIND installation is
cumbersome, eats resources, and is absolutely unecessary on a
workstation. nscd if all fails, but not bind.

this message represents the official view of the voices in my head.