Re: big IBM harddisk

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, nico de haer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some more info.....
>
> 1) Make sure your system boots using your 1 Gb hdd
> 2) Check what your kernel says about hdd's (dmesg is your friend)
> 3) Once you have found it use (c)fdisk to create partitions, and add
> filesystems using the normal tools
> 4) mount em somewhere
>
> This *should* work for all. One tip to prevent bios crap:
> 1) connect the 1 Gb and CDROM to your mainboard
> 2) power-on and go to bios, do autodetect
> 3) check that the Secondary master and slave are set to NONE
> 4) save settings
> 5) power down
> 6) connect the Big One as Secondary Master
> 7) Power On (DO NOT GO TO BIOS TO TELL IT ABOUT THE BIG ONE)
> This way you leave all the work that needs to be done to your kernel.
> If i try to autodetect my IBM the Abit stops responding......

OK.

Thanks.
I will try this method this evening.
My problem was that my box didn't boot at all, when I connected that big
harddrive to the machine. I tried it as the slave of that 1 GB as hda.

I will try to change the cd-drive into hdb and the Big One as hdc and see
what happens.

> The wisedom behind : Put the 40 gb drive in as hdc, and cdrom as hdb:
> Loads of controllers have to talk to both drives (on the same cable) in the
> same way. This means that both of them run at the maximum speed of the
> slowest drive. Putting the Big One on it's own cable allows for maximum
> speed. There are controllers who are smarter than this, check out if yours
> is.

This is something, I've been thinking about.  You are probably right.

> btw, i made a typo... my drive is a DTLA-305040, not a DLTA-304050
> (whoepsy....)
>
> regards,
> Nico de Haer

regards,