Re: Can't login, won't ask for password

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Tristan Chamberlain wrote:

> When trying to login on linux, I type my username in and then
> immediately, without prompting for a password, tells me "Login
> Incorrect".
>
> I am using sid, and everything was working fine this morning until I did
> apt-get upgrade then rebooted and I suddenly can't login with root or
> any other username. How do I fix this?

I think? that this is because of a prblem in libpam.

You can get new copies from:
http://incoming.debian.org/libpam*72-27_i386.deb

Sam Hartman (hartmans@debian.org) should be able to help you get going BUT in
short you'll have to do something like:
reboot system.
at lilo prompt type "linux init=/bin/sh" <enter>
Then bring up networking (/etc/network start)
Grabe the .debs from incomming.
dpkg -i libpam*72-27_i386.deb
sync
reboot
and hopefully that will fix it.

You'll probably want to get sam to check what I've just said.