Re: unable to install woody - template/apt/dpkg errors

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 05:58:16PM +0100, mark wrote:
> So my best bet wood to put potato back on and just upgrade to woody, as
> i only really want XFree86-4.0.3, gnome 1.2 or 1.4 and mozilla 0-9.1 and
> to be able to run evolution-0.10

Yes, just install potato base system, and when the base installation is
finished and it starts dselect, just quit dselect immediately.  Instead,
vi your /etc/apt/sources.list and change the deb uri's from potato to
woody.  There is no need to install anything from potato that you would
overwrite with an upgrade from woody.

Then go back to dselect, run update, enter the select screen, so dselect
can process the updated standard package list and its depends, and ask
you for confirmation.  Do not select anything new or extra, just keep
hitting enter, until you're back at the main dselect menu.  Run install.

When done, go back to the select screen and select task-x-window-core.
Hit enter a few times and install the newly selected packages.

Repeat the procedure for task-gnome-desktop.

Finally, enter select and add the remaining packages, that were not in
any task- package.

Easy.  Safe.

Cheers,

Joost