Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

Hi,

My initial reaction was a shudder, basicly 'cus I teak everything to
within an inch of it's life and hate the limitations of GUI interface
for system configuration (you can only stick in so many options).

But, upon reflection something like this could have a place, but it's
a huge undertaking.  I'm just finishing up a one floppy installer and
even with the assumptions I can make (fast ethernet LAN, >4G HD, and I
know the right network configs), it's been a piece of work to make
something that will fit from a PPro 200Mhz with 64M of RAM  and 4G HD
to Dual PIII Xeon 1.7GHz with 2G of RAM and 80G HD, then all the
NIC's, and I've basicly left sound to the user.

It's a pretty dirty hack, but even that took some doing.  To device
something that will do this from any OS, on any machine from a 386 to
P4 or Itanium (not to mention all the other architectures Debian
supports), with a variety of network connections (LAN, dialup. ADSL,
Cable), well I hope patience is one of your virtues :)

-Jon