Re: Hardware

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 09:51:34PM +0200, Marcus wrote:
> On 22.06.01 at 16:16 Antonio Alberto Lobato wrote:
> >	Thank you very much for the hint, but it`s not what I want. I
> >would like to read something how " Hardware is the phisical part of
> the
> >computer... BUS is the ... ISA is the x type of BUS... Chipset is a
> >whole of chips on the mothermoard that does the ...".

If you want to know what a computer looks like below the belt, I would
recommend:

  tanenbaum:  structured computer origanization
  4th edition, prentice hall

> O'Reilly has a hardware/"build your own PC" book. I don't know it, but
> it's probably worth a look.

If there are any pictures in, ora books are always worth a look. I wonder
what engravings they chose for this one.

BTW, if you just want to build a pc, you don't need to know a lot about
hardware.  It's mostly a matter of plugging a into b and it is really
difficult to plug in anything the wrong way round.  The hard part is
getting the software working, starting from the firmware (the bios)
and ending with the applications (gnome-hello-orb).

Cheers,

Joost