Re: printing to a windows shared printer with smbprint

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 11:57:50AM +0200, Jeroen Valcke wrote:
> I installed smbprint to be able to print to a printer attached to a
> windows pc. However it doens't work
> Anybody an idea what I did wrong.

Well I've said this before, the mistake is to have the printer attached
to the windows machine.  It just isn't any good as a server.  It may be
good enough for some purposes and in some context, eg. if you only have
two windows machines and one printer.  But if you have a linux system to
your disposal, there is no excuse for putting network services on that
box, away from any windows machines.  IMHO, and experience.

> 		:if=/usr/bin/smbprint:

If this is the only place where you're actually calling smbprint, you
might as well put in the /usr/share path and you do not need the symlink.

> I restarted the samba services en tried to print but nada.

It does not relate to samba services.  Maybe the lpr services, reload it.

> Did I forget something Where can I find errors? I checked
> /var/log/lp-errs and lpr.log but nothing relevant.

The lpd does not log very verbosely by default.  You may have to tweak
its configuration a little.  It is worth studying the lpr docs thoroughly,
you'll get payback when you start adding all sorts of custom features
to the linux printserver.

Unfortunately, microsoft smb implementation is not documented very well,
especially in the corner case area's.  Don't waste your time debugging it,
unless you are seriously planning to become samba hacker.

Cheers,

Joost