Broken Debconf

After doing my regular apt-get update;apt-get -fuy dist-upgrade against
testing, I've managed to completely munge up my perl installation.  When apt
gets to updating Debconf, I get the following error:
debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Can't modify goto in lvalue subroutine
return at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"
        ...propagated at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/base.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Iterator.pm
line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm
line 7.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line
5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Log.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 4.
) -- aborting

The two stupid things that I've done lately to my system was running CPAN and
apt-getlocalepurge.  CPAN tried to update a bunch of stuff (for some reason
it that overwriting the perl modules in /usr/ was a good idea, rather than
writing to /usr/local/ like the perl packages normally do), while
apt-localepurge, well, purged a bunch of locale files which means that many
packages refuse to install now.  I'm involved in a rather large perl project,
so I need to fix this, soon.  Is it time to grab my potato CD's and reinstall
everything, or can this be fixed reasonably easily?