/etc/modules.conf is more recent than modules.dep ???

hi,
I keep getting the following error message at boot time:

modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.5/modules.dep

On other occasions it is insmod that issues the message. I have had this problem since kernel 2.2.17. I am presently running kernel 2.4.5 compiled by myself
using the debian kernel package tools (make-kpkg). I have also tried things
like depmod -A .

Any ideas what may be going wrong. Note - if I touch modules.dep to make it more
recent . On the next boot something reverses the situation again .

This has not caused any program to fail as yet but it is still a nagging messg.

B.Thomas