Re: Why use fakeroot when compiling kernel?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:40:34AM -0500, Ken Januski wrote:
> Thanks to all who've helped me in recompiling my kernel. I used
> kernel-package on one debian box and it worked fine. But now I'm   about
> to do it on another more important box and I'd like to know why I should
> not do this as root, as I did on first box, and instead use fakeroot or
> something similar.
>
> I'm sure there are very good reasons. I'd just like an explanation of
> the problems created by running it as root and the virtues of not doing
> so. Thanks for your patience in answering a basic question.

root is inherently dangerous ... you can destroy all the data on your
drive (among other fun things) if you don't pay attention :)

dpkg-buildpackage wants root rights to create a deb, but otherwise
doesn't need special privs.  fakeroot uses some "tricks" to allow
root-like privs of the sort dpkg-buildpackage wants, but not enough
privs to be any more dangerous than your normal login id.

Actual compilation of the kernel does not require additional privs.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.