sawfish 2 step warning

I just built sawfish and sawfish-gnome from source and installed them
on a woody system that had been using Ximian/Helix's sawfish.  I ran
into a little oddity that blocked installation, and I thought I'd
report it (and the work-around) for the benefit of those who follow.

The current debian packages have sawfish and sawfish-gnome as
alternatives; one replaces the other.  But the previous packages had
sawfish-gnome depending on sawfish.  I don't know if that's a Ximian
thing or just an earlier version thing.

So if you try to install sawfish-gnome it says it must remove
sawfish.  But then, apparently looking at the current version, it says
removing sawfish -> must remove sawfish-gnome, which it can't do
because it's being installed.  Other routes in lead to similar
problems (I can't recall if it was dpkg or apt-get that was doing the
complaining).

Anyway, I switched window managers and apt-remove sawfish and
sawfish-gnome.  This also took out helix-sweetpill, which is just
eye-candy (I think).  Then I could install sawfish-gnome without
problems.

This is also an interesting case for the apt logic that manages
packages.  Perhaps it should be testing based on the projected state
rather than the current one?  I'm not sure if that would be adequate
to keep the system properly glued together though.