Re: System Backup to CD

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:44:10PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Though I kept good notes, it took much effort to restore my current
> debian linux system with all the apt-get's and other downloads after a
> hard disk crash wiped out everything.  With Windows I always had to be
> prepared for system crashes and regularly used DriveImage to copy my
> complete C-drive with boot sector and my complete D-drive (all my data
> files) to CD's.  In the early versions it was necessary to copy these
> drives to .pqi files on other hard drives and then use CDWriter to copy
> the .pqi files to CD's.  The last version of DriveImage that I purchased
> could write directly to CD's.  Either way, when Windows crashed - as it
> often did - I had only to boot to the DriveImage DOS disks and restore
> the C and D drives from the CD's.  It didn't take more than 20 minutes
> to get up and running again.
>
> Linux doesn't crash - at least mine hasn't in spite of all the times I
> have rebuilt the kernel - but there is a big investment in time and
> effort getting to where I am today.  I believe Drive Image now
> understands the linux file structure so I could boot to DOS and make
> copies of my linux system.
>
> Still, Debian Linux is so elegant there is very likely a better way.  If
> so, I haven't found it yet.  If I have missed something obvious, please
> point me in the right direction.

You should be able to find plenty of info on this by searching the
archives -
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Debian-Linux/199/0/
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

You could take a look here -
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

Also search for something like "backup" at -
http://www.linuxdoc.org/
hth,
kent

--