Re: Printing with Debian

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 08:35:24PM -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:
| > Samba will then hand it to lprng, which hands it to magicfilter,
| > which should notice that the file is in the printer's native
| > language (usually some form of PCL) and just send it straight back
| > to lprng, which finally
|
| Then you don't need magicfilter, right! If all that's being done is
| to print from Windows. In fact for Samba printers all you need is a
| minimal printcap since all the config stuff is done in Windows.

True, unless you want to print from the Linux box as well.

'printcab' and 'cups' were also in the original list.  That is a typo,
it should be 'printcap' and refers to the file /etc/printcap.  It
stands for "PRINTer CAPabilities" and is used to tell lprng (and lpd)
what printer(s) you have and what filters (magicfilter) should be
applied to the data sent to the spooler.

Cups is a completely different system for printing.  If you want to
use cups you don't need lprng or magicfilter, or a printcap.  It has
its own configuration system.  I use cups on my system.  There is a
lot more information regarding cups, and the best place to get it is
the website.

-D