Re: shared modem

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 08:01:59PM +0100, Wasim Ahmed wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:43:18AM -0700, Andrew Agno wrote:
> > Wasim Ahmed writes:
> >  > Probably the only useful thing that currently cannot be replicated on
> >  > a Linux server on Windows NT Small Business Server appears to be
> >  > shared modems.
> >
> > Well, no.  You can use IP masquerade--it works just fine with modems.
> > You can also set things up so that it dials on demand.
>
> Oh.  I forgot to explain what I meant.  When I mean "shared modem" I
> don't mean "shared internet connection", but rather a "shared modem".
> That is, the ability to use a standard modem on COM2 of the server as
> a modem from a virtual COM3 of the windows client.

$ dpkg -p mserver
Package: mserver
Section: comm
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.23a-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.2-2)
Filename: pool/main/m/mserver/mserver_0.23a-2_i386.deb
Size: 16428
MD5sum: 397db73546f88a795cb5a042a10e5348
 The mserver program is a network modem server which allows modems to be
 exported to any number of hosts on the (local) internet.  Access control for
 each individually exported modem is performed on a per-host basis.
 .
 Windows 95 shareware client available.  Work on a Mac version in progress.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.