Re: [users] Re: kernel compiles

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 06:34:25PM +0200, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Nathan E Norman (on Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:01:13AM -0500):
> > Well, for one thing, you can compile kernels on your 1GHz Athlon
> > instead of your old 486 :)  Since kernel-package creates a package, it
> > can be installed anywhere.
>
> but i usually choose the appropriate kernel architecture during the
> menuconfig session, and while the 486 will run on the Athlon, it's not
> vice versa. and am i not correct in believeing that it's better e.g.
> for a pentium to run a P5 kernel rather than a 386 kernel...
> performance wise?

So what?  Compiling a kernel "here" and running it "there" means you
choose the appropriate optimisations for "there", not "here"!

I fail to see why you think compiling a kernel on an Athlon, but
optimising for a 486 cos you're installing on a 486 is a problem.

Choosing things in the kernel config lets the compiler know what code
to compile, and how.  It doesn't follow that the compiler makes
assumptions about the hardware it's running on _right now_.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.