Re: "unresolved symbol" in XFree86 4.0.3 FIXED

>   1) startx fails, with these messages:
>
>     Symbol VBEInit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
>   2) I was asked several configuration questions when I installed
>      xserver-xfree86.  However, the configuration file
>      /etc/X11/XF86Config was not changed from before.  I could not find
>      where the answers to my questions went.

Apparently these were related.  I have been having trouble with the
filesystem filling up.  It may have happened during the X window
system upgrade.  I reinstalled everything with

  cd /var/cache/apt/archive
  dpkg -i *4.0.3*deb

A file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 was created, and X windows now starts.

		      - Jim Van Zandt