Re: APM console blanking

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:53:17PM -0700, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> --- Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 06:51:10PM -0700, Brian McGroarty
> > wrote:
> > > I'm using the stock potato 2.2.19 kernel and I've added
> > apm=on
> > > to the kernel command line.
> > >
> > > How do I enable apm console blanking? I'm not using X on
> > this
> > > system, and I'd like to power off the display after 5
> > minutes of
> > > no mouse/keyboard.
> >
> > I picked this up a long time ago and have it in
> > /etc/init.d/local:
> >
> > <cite>
> > set_dpms() {
> > 	echo -n  "Setting DPMS for text console: "
> > 	setterm -blank 5 -powersave on
> > 	echo -en "\033[9;8]"
> > 	echo -en "\033[14;10]"
> > 	echo "done."
> > }
> >
> > set_dpms
> > </cite>
>
> Thanks, setterm sure looks like where it should be, but no good
> so far. And unfortunately, this is a DVI display with no
> workable off switch, so this really needs to work.
>
> No dice on the above or setterm with -powersave powerdown. The
> screen goes blank, but does not shut off - the backlight is
> still burning.
>
> I know from past experience that if I enable APM and console
> display blanking in a custom kernel it works on this machine -
> sure should be possible without that though.

Did you do the two echo's?

I found the original email and it had the following comments:

  setterm -blank 5 -powersave on  # dpms on
  echo -en "\033[9;8]"            # suspend after 10 min
  echo -en "\033[14;10]"          # off after 30 min

I can't find any documentation to explain the values but I remember
playing with them and it's the echo statements that tell the monitor
to go to sleep.

--
We see, then, that in almost all of the important actions of life
we must respect men's free will, defer to their own good