Re: cannot open display

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 03:45:38PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, G.LeeJohnson wrote:
>
> > You can narrow it down by specifying the allowed hosts:
> > xhost + allows every host
> > xhost +foo allows computer 'foo' to connect
> > xhost - allows only the owner of the display
> >
> > I do not know how to specify a user. You could try
> > 'xhost localhost' for allowing all users from localhost.
>
> There's a "secure" way to accomplish this, but I don't
> remember it. I do use it at home though and can post it later.
> I'm surprised no one's already done so though...

<g>  I think what you're looking for is:

after su'ing to root, do

$ xauth merge ~<USER>/.Xauthority

where <USER> is the regular user's username.

Depending on context the right name might still be in the variable
$USER, so the following should work too

$ xauth merge ~$USER/.Xauthority

$USER may already be set to 'root' in some other contexts, though.

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --