Re: xlate 8-bit MAC ascii to 8-bit latin1 ascii?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:51:41AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> >looking for a charset translator, in all the wrong places--
> >
> >	man ascii
> >	man iso_8859_1
> >	man iso_8859_7
> >	man iso_8859_15
> >	man utf-8
> >	man charsets
> >
> >been through all those.
>
> Try 'recode', which knows about every character set I've ever heard of
> plus a lot.

good start -- but it doesn't take typeset-right-quote and change
it to apostrophe, or em-dash and change it to dash-dash, for
example. it fixes some, but not most.

so -- newbie question here -- how do i specify 8th-bit
characters from the keyboard? i.e. how can i create umlaut-u or
cedilla-C or em-dash? (on a mac, it's option-u/u and option-C
and option-shift-dash, respectively.) surely there's a quick
howto, somewhere.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #45 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: