Re: client-server backup using NFS and tar

Hi all (again),

I've discovered that I can use the option --rsh-command
and specify /usr/bin/ssh and then, if you generate a key
pair and set it up properly then you're not prompted for
a password, the authentication happens and then the tarring
happens over a secure channel.

So this basically solves my problem, but does anyone have
any comments on the security of this for backing up a
server to another server: two servers, one is internet
facing, the other serves as a database server and has a
tape drive. A 100TX connection connects the two. Is the
above considered secure enough to backup the internet
facing machine via a 2nd NIC to the backup device on the
database server?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Matthew