Re: IPMasqing finale

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 08:05:20AM -0700, Stephen Handley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all thanks Will for the help. It turned out I had everything set up
> correctly and had for quite some time. The problem was a CLOGGED (for want
> of a better word) DSL modem. However, it wasn't clogged enough to prevent me
> accessing the outside from my Linux box, just the Windows machine. After
> power cycling the modem ... Bob's your uncle ... everything worked.
>
> Well almost everything.
>
> I plugged a second machine into the network and gave it the next IP address
> in the series
>
> 192.168.0.3
>
> however I can't talk to the Linux box. The most I can do is ping the other
> masqd machine.
>
> 192.168.0.2
>
> Apart from the different IP address, the network settings are exactly the
> same as the first Windows machine.
>
> Any ideas?

i presume you're using a hub with standard ethernet cabling...

not sure what to try next (this ain't my forte). there's "nmap"
which can check for activity on a subnet:

$ nmap --help
nmap: invalid option -- -
nmap V. 2.12 usage: nmap [Scan Type(s)] [Options] <host or net #1 ... [#N]>
<snip>
Hostnames specified as internet hostname or IP address.  Optional '/mask' specifies subnet. For example:  cert.org/24 or 192.88.209.5/24 or 192.88.209.0-255 or '128.88.209.*' all scan CERT's Class C.

$ nmap 192.168.0.0-10

Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor@dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Interesting ports on linus (192.168.0.1):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
9       open        tcp        discard
22      open        tcp        ssh
25      open        tcp        smtp
53      open        tcp        domain
110     open        tcp        pop-3
113     open        tcp        auth

Interesting ports on duo (192.168.0.2):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
9       open        tcp        discard
22      open        tcp        ssh
25      open        tcp        smtp
548     open        tcp        afpovertcp
3306    open        tcp        mysql
5432    open        tcp        postgres

Nmap run completed -- 5 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 1 second

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #38 from Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
: