Re: xf86config failed. Need help!

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:37:46PM -0700, Tim Xu wrote:

[starting X]

| _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect : errno=111
| _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect : errno=111
| _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect : errno=111
| _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect : errno=111
| _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect : errno=111

I've seen these messages before.  Basically the system thinks the
socket is already in use (when it isn't), thus the X server you are
trying to start can't connect.

When I saw this (a RH6.2 box at work) it was because the X server had
crashed, or been killed, and it left some stuff behind.  Rebooting the
system may clear this, or removing the files in /var/lib? (I don't
remember the directory name exactly).  What I did to solve this was to
keep looking through X documentation to see what sockets it needs, and
where it "stores the socket" (I think it is more like a named-pipe
since it uses a file).  IIRC you can start an X server on a different
display (ie use :1 instead of :0,  I don't know how to make it use
your real monitor since I was using xvfb (X Virtual Frame Buffer) on
that RH box).

HTH,
-D