screen and everybuddy on woody

Hi,

I installed woody from the woody installation disks on my system, and I'm
having some problems with screen and everybuddy.

1. screen: When I start screen with no .screenrc, it "hangs", and ps
lists:

hede    659  0.0  0.6  2116  880 pts/3    S  11:07   0:00 screen
hede    660  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z  11:07   0:00 [screen<defunct>]

"screen -ls" says:

There is a screen on:
        660.pts-3.some-kind-of-idiot    (Dead ???)
Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'.
1 Sockets in /var/run/screen/S-hede.

2. everybuddy: The program works fine, except that I have to use
Ctrl-backspace instead of backspace in editting the buffer for sending
messages. backspace appears to duplicate the previous word rather than
delete the previous character.

I haven't used potato before, so I'm not sure if these problems are
woody-specific. Would appreciate any suggestions on how I could fix these
problems. Thanks!

-hoeteck

-------
hede@theunixplace.com