Debian 2.2r3, kernel 2.4.5 and XF403???

Hello.  I'm about to upgrade my X from 3.3.6-11potato
to 4.03 by way of the debs at
http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha and using apt-get.
I've done the apt-get upgrade and started the apt-get
dist-upgrade and became somewhat queasy when the list
of packages to remove came up (below).  I would hate to
destroy a perfectly good running X.

>>topdog2:/etc/X11# apt-get dist-upgrade
>>Reading Package Lists... Done
>>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>>Calculating Upgrade... Done
>>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>  blt-dev gdk-imlib-dev libforms0.88 libgtk1.2-dev olvwm task-gnome-apps
>>  task-gnome-desktop task-gnome-games task-gnome-net task-tcltk-dev
>>  task-x-window-system task-x-window-system-core tk8.2-dev tktable-dev
>>  xbase-clients xdm xf86setup xfmail xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base
>>  xfonts-cjk xfonts-cyrillic xfonts-scalable xlib6g-dev xpm4g xviewg-dev
>>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>  libxaw6 libxaw7 xlibs
>>The following packages have been kept back
>>  xfs xserver-common xterm
>>7 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 27 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>>Need to get 5978kB of archives. After unpacking 29.1MB will be freed.
>>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>>Abort.

How much of the above X stuff will be replaced by new X and what about
gnome being removed?  Will I have to now recompile gnome for the new
X 4.03?  Will I be able to re-install the programs listed above that
are not provided by the X packages, like xfmail for instance?

Any other info would be appreciated.

thanks,
tony mollica
tmollica@silcom.com