Re: login and terminal character recognition

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 06:05:11AM -0400, Steve Barr wrote:
> > Now I know this has something to do with the virtual terminal not
> > recognising the keys properly when I type them.  It must be that the
> > word "root" doesn't have enough characters for the terminal to detect
> > what type it should be emulating? or something?????  When I type in my
> > username to login which has more chars, then it obviously gets enough
> > characters to figure out how it should initialise itself?????
>
> It is more likely related to the /etc/securetty file.
>
> The first couple lines of my file read:
>
> # /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
> # See securetty(5) and login(1).

No, that is not the problem.  I can for example type a whole lot of
characters on the screen and then delete them and then type in root and
the password and that works fine.  It is something to do with the amount
/range of characters you type before the terminal realises its keymap or
something like that.  It just never used to do it before I reinstalled
this time.  I think I am missing a package, because I did try to limit
how much I installed at the start as I had to do it over a 28.8 modem.

Any ideas?
Mark.