Getting Rid of Gnome

Hi,

I think I've decided to get rid of my Gnome/Enlightenment combo as it runs
pretty slow (well not slow but not incredibly fast) and I find that I
don't use any of the things that Gnome gives me (like the task bar or the
desktop).  Is there a way that I can apt-get remove Gnome itself without
getting rid of the rest of the programs, etc. like Gnumeric?  I guess I
really want to know if I'm losing anything without Gnome (other than the
taskbar, etc)?  And if I get rid of Gnome, can I still use gdm but with
just enlightenment?

Thanks,

Andrew

--