Serial mouse detection/configuration problems

I'm helping a friend with a Debian install / box cannibalization
project.  Problem right now is the mouse.  It's worked intermittently,
but isn't responding right now.  I'm suspecting the PS/2 -> Serial
converter itself is bad.

I've tried reading raw serial devices (cat /dev/ttyS[0123]), but no data
are coming through at the moment.  Tried the usual suspects:

  - Plug mouse into laptop PS/2 connection -- success.
  - Plug mouse + converter into laptop serial port while live -- no joy.
    But I've never used the onboard serial and don't know if it's
    configured properly or not.
  - Plug mouse + converter into second desktop system serial port and
    booted fresh -- no joy.  Again, not sure if the box is configured
    properly.  It was booted with the Debian 2.2r3 boot media, disk 1.

I would like to think there's something in the serial port configuration
that I'm missing, but the evidence tends to point to the PS/2=>Serial
converter.  Anyone know if those things are known to go bad -- should
just be some straight-through wiring, no?

TIA.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!