Re: How to upgrade to XFree86 4 on unstable ?

Balbir Thomas writes:
 > On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 11:27:44AM -0700, Andrew Agno wrote:
 > > Balbir Thomas writes:
 > >  > I now find that xserver-xfree86 and xfree86-common are upgraded . I
 > >  > even ran xf86cfg . But when I try to startx it still runs
 > >  > 3.3.6. How do I change to 4 ?
 > >
 > > You probably still have the X link pointing to your old X server.
 > > Change it to point to your new X server and you'll be good to go.  Not
 > > too sure where the link is--probably somewhere in /usr/X11R6/bin.  You
 > > want to move the link to point to ./XFree86 instead of, for example,
 > > XF86_SVGA.
 >
 > But /usr/X11R6/bin/X is not a link ??

Then it should be :)  It's also kind of odd that it isn't, actually,
but maybe somebody else can tell you why.

What do you have when you do something like:
% ls /usr/X11R6/bin/X*

If XFree86 4.x is installed, then you should have an executable by the
name of XFree86.  This is what you want to use instead of whatever you
are currently using.  Move X to something like X.backup, then create a
link to XFree86:
% mv /usr/X11R6/bin/X /usr/X11R6/bin/X.backup
% ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Then make sure your XF86Config file is up to date--or create a new one
for XFree86 4.x, then test it out using
% XFree86 -xf86config /path/to/new/config/file

The following might also work (but back up your XF86Config files!):
Remove XFree86 4.x and 3.x
Reinstall XFree86 4.x, then XFree86 3.x
This should work, as long as you remove absolutely everything--you may
have to use the --purge option, but I've never done this, so who knows?

Andrew.