ntpdate

Hi All,
for some reason on of my boxen keeps starting up with the date way back
in the 1920's.  ntpdate doesn't handle this well so the time is always
wrong.  I hacked the /etc/init.d/ntpdate script and set the date to
something closer so that ntpdate could actually set the date correctly
but, like I said, this is a hack.  I was wondering if there's anyway to
tell ntpdate what epoch your in so that it can set the date even if it's
way off?  How about ntpd?  Any comments on that program?

thanks,
Andy