(Potato) problems with PHP4 package /apache module

Hello everyone.
I think maybe this is not the appropiate place to post this; in that
case, I'm sorry.
Now the question: I have instaled apache 1.3.19 in potato and now
I add php4 as a module, and the pgsql extension for php.
Dselect and installs = ok.
apache + php = ok, but pgsql extension is not loaded, no pgsql
function work on the server.
The /etc/php4/apache/php.ini file was edited to load the extension
file (pgsql.so) and the directive to the path of the lib file is ok too.
Any ideas? Can somebody point me in the direction to correct this?
Thank you very much.
Fernando