From: Nick [mailto:nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 6:13 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: Auke van der Gaast
Subject: Re: Why can't I?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:40:56 +0200, "Auke van der Gaast" <deflect@chello.nl>
wrote:

> I'm trying to restrict users' access to only their home dir
> (I don't want them to be able to see or reach / or even /home )
>     I've already wasted half a day on just that, I'd really appreciate
> it if anyone could tell me what to do.

I'd hate to see this thread to die without chucking my 2p into the pot (this
is just for fun, OK ?) :  what Auke asks is a perfectly *reasonable* thing,
but (as other posters have pointed out) unfortunately not generally
considered a good idea on Unix.

Auke's suggestion is in perfect accord with the generally accepted best
practice security stance : whatever has not been explicitly allowed should
be implicitly denied.  It's a variation of security through obscurity, and
as such is usually deemed as being of little absolute value by security
geeks because a determined & competent attacker will not be slowed much by
it ... but it still helps.

My personal opinion is that the multiple users of a system should never be
able to even detect the existence of what each other has (never mind see the
content) unless the owner has granted that permission.

And they shouldn't be able to *list* the contents of system software areas
at all, even if they're allowed to *execute* them.

However, in my experience the only systems that actually deliver that
possibility have been the mainframe operating systems I used to work on.

-snip-