Re: apt question

Am 14. Jun, 2001 schwäzte pReJkEr so:

>   i've installed debian on my comp for the first time
>   and when i was installing it (base-config) from an ftp site
>   (ftp.pl.debian.org) apt downloads very old packages ie. xfree-3.3.6
>   gnome-1.0 and so on.... can someone tell me what i have to write to
>   sources.list to make apt to download new packages ie. xfree86-4.1.0
>   gnome-1.4 kde-2.1......

First off: a reminder that debian comes without warranty. Same with my
advice :). testing is not necessarily a stable archive. I, however, have had
very few problems and it's worked quite well for me :).

Next "apt-get update" and "apt-get -u dist-upgrade" to make sure you're
current from stable.

Then add testing to /etc/apt/sources.list.

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

Change http.us.debian.org to a more appropriate mirror if you're not in the
.us.

Keep the entries for stable and security.

Do an "apt-get update", then an "apt-get install apt". That will get you the
new apt, which can take advantage of a really cool feature.

Create /etc/apt/preferences with the following two stanzas in it:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 90

Now do an "apt-get -u dist-upgrade". That should come up with nothing new to
add.

Now you can "apt-get install task-x-window-system/testing". Same syntax
works for the other things you want updated. The nice thing about using
preferences is that this will get things from stable that meet the
requirements.

If you want to just move to testing, then change the Pin-Priority for
testing to be 900 and do a dist-upgrade.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans