Re: cdcd sound level

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:56:11PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> cdcd will play a cd but the volume is so low it can scsrcely be heard
> although getvol reports 255 for both channels.  The other operating
> system plays the cd at normal volume.
>
> Also cdcd will only play for root.  The other user has been added to
> group audio and /dev/audio has rwxrwxrwx permissions but any attempt to
> play cd's results in no disc in drive or permission denied.

hmm. i'm in groups "audio" and "cdrom" as well; on my debian
machine "cdcd setvol ..." works like a charm. you don't have
some sort of "mute" feature turned on elsewhere (hardware or
software) perhaps?

--

by the way:

LESSON FOR THE DAY--

> I am not currently a subscriber but will use geocrawler to check the
> archives for possible solutions.  Thanks for any help you can give.

i think this is one of the most CONSIDERATE requests i've ever
seen. rather than ask for extra work on our part (please cc: me)
he gladly offers to go to a bit of extra effort himself (browse
geocrawler, which doesn't thread messages). kudos, thomas!

i can just about guarantee that everyone who wants to help will
include a cc: directly to you as a result.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #19 from Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org>
: