Re: web management question

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:30:24PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:41:37PM -0500, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
>
> ...oldie, but...
>
> > On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 01:01:53PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > The directory ~/public_html is made accessible as:
> > >
> > >     http://server/~user/
> > >
> > > ...with the appropriate configuration changes in /etc/apache/access.conf
> > > and /etc/apache/srm.conf.
> >
> > 	LoadModule userdir_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_userdir.so
> > 	UserDir /var/something/student/*/personal-web-pages
> >
> > so when apache got a request for your.domain.here/~bubba/something
> > it'd use /var/something/student/bubba/personal-web-pages/something
> > as its file-path.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying.
>
>   - Apache reads the data from ~bubba/public_html.
>   - It responds to a request for http://host/~bubba/something/
>
> > i'd either stick with "public_html" or "www".

that is, apache CAN BE configured to server ~user/ items
from whatever you like -- "public_html" by default, but it could
be "something-else-entirely" as in

	# httpd.conf
	UserDir /var/something/student/*/www

which translates a request for

	~GONZO/ALPHA/BRAVO/CHARLIE

into the file path

	/var/something/student/GONZO/www/ALPHA/BRAVO/CHARLIE

"public_html" is the default UserDir setting, but it could be
anything.

i prefer "~user/www" to "~user/public_html", myself.

> > > Files in these directories need to be world readable.
> >
> > at least www-data readable, if you're using the default
> > 	User www-data
> > 	Group www-data
> >
> > :)
>
> I think you're both clear and right here.

sometimes clear/right overlap. when that happens, we celebrate.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #31 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: