Re: /etc/apt/preferences

Am 14. Jun, 2001 schwäzte Mike Williams so:

> This is a really cool idea, but I can't get it working for me.

Are you running apt 0.5.3? That's out of testing. 0.3.19 in stable doesn't
have support for /etc/apt/preferences.

> I want to run "testing" for most things, but grab selected packages (mainly
> KDE) from "unstable".  My setup looks like this:
>
>     ,--- /etc/apt/preferences ---
>     | Package: *
>     | Pin: release a=testing
>     | Pin-Priority: 900
>     | Package: *
>     | Pin: release a=unstable
>     | Pin-Priority: 50

That should do it. You don't have anything commented out that you didn't
show here, do you? That hoses things :(.

>     ,--- /etc/apt/sources.list ---
>     | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
>     | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing/non-US main contrib non-free
>     | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>     | deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> But, when I "apt-get upgrade", it's trying to ungrade me to "unstable"
> versions of everything.  What am I doing wrong??

Even if you currently had unstable installed, by pinning unstable below 100
you shouldn't be updating to it.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)