Re: FTP/User access, was: Re: [users] Re: Why can't I?

also sprach D-Man (on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:47:35PM -0400):
> Home dirs should have "711" as the permissions (owner
> read-write-execute group and world execute only).  I just checked on
> my system (I am really the only user right now) and the perms are 755
> (actually I'm not sure what the 's' in the 010 column is (group
> execute)).  I think this is a bug in adduser/useradd (whichever one is
> the Debian-specific) and should be fixed.

the g+s bit is the setgid bit, which, when applied to directories,
ensures that files/dirs created within the subdirectory have their
group membership set to the same as the directory. it's not a bug,
it's a feature, even though one would assume that the standard user is
primarily in group "users" and that home is recursively chgrp'd to
users. however, as soon as you introduce per-user groups and other
complications, the g+s bit comes in handy.

"if I can't dance, i don't want to be part of your revolution."
                                                        - emma goldman