Re: All packages ... again.

on Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:02:00PM -0500, dario.bahena@correo.unam.mx (dario.bahena@correo.unam.mx) wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> Ok ... so, I was used to the fact that, my system just have one
> program for the main tasks. If  debian has more than one option, I'd
> like to ask again, a couple of things:
>
> a) If I'm not wrong, the programs can conflict each other, just in the
>    case of simultaneous usage.  For example, they can compete for the
>    same directory, the same TCP port, etc. But what could be wrong, if
>    I install all the programs for the same tasks, and just "activate"
>    one of them by configuration.  (and maybe, also configure the
>    others to desactivate them).

You can do this.  It's more work than the alternative:  installing a
package you're interested in trialling for a period of time, then
reverting to another package if it doesn't work out.

> b) Aprox., How much disk space will be requiered to install ALL the
>    packages???

A friend of mine, Rick Moen, maintains a Debian archive mirror, on about
10 GB of storage.  This represents the compressed format of most
packages, expect a full install to increase this requirement by 50-100%,
possibly more.

> I want to install all the packages, just because I like having the
> program already installed, in the moment I need them ... maybe I
> install some programs that never will be used, but it doesn´t matter
> for me, I prefer that to loose some time downloading, maybe compiling
> and installing the program.

Your concerns are sorely misguided.  You'll spend far more time
attempting this task than you will by installing the packages you need
and testing the ones you're interested in on an as needed basis.   This
will allow you to resolve issues when they arise, rather than fighting
them all at once.

Most debian packages weigh in at a few hundred KB -- even on a 56 K
dialup line (my only current access), you can download and install a
package in a matter of a few minutes, often less.  Some large packages
take longer -- I figure a MB every five minutes or so, do the math.  But
large packages tend to be end-user software which doesn't conflict with
other stuff.  It's mostly the server space that does -- having multiple
webservers, ftp servers, print services, etc., installed, simply doesn't
work.  Debian is designed to identify both dependencies and conflicts.
Your request is guaranteed to raise conflicts.  If you have a high-speed
connection, or are accessing the distribution from CDROMs or a locally
hosted mirror, you'll be able to install packages in seconds.  It would
literally take longer to read the package list from disk, in many cases,
than to download a package from a remote site, when I had a high-speed
Internet connection.

The simple fact is that you'll spend more time trying to force your
system into doing something it's designed to prevent, and it will take
you longer to test various packages out, than if you just use Debian the
way it's designed.  A friend of mine who does technical reviews of
GNU/Linux software for a major tech journal sees Debian as the *only*
way he can do his job.  Because Debian takes so much of the pain out of
trying out new software, it's the best way for him to do his
evaluations.

Listen to the voices of experience.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/