Re: [OT?] ugly screen fonts in .pdf files

What version of ghostscript are you using? Some (older) versions use
bitmapped fonts for all non-Postscript-standard fonts, which includes the
computer modern fonts to which LaTeX defaults. The newest gs
(7.something) will embed postscript fonts, which is what you want for
this. You should also change /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap os type1_default=true
to get dvips to put the embedded postscript fonts in your ps file.

You may get more help with this in comp.text.tex.

ap

   Andrew J. Perrin - Assistant Professor of Sociology
        University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
269 Hamilton Hall CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
   andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin